In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Haiti - the run up to..........

Hi all,
Did get the word yesterday from Samaritan's Purse, World Medical Missions, that I will be added to a volunteer medical team going to do cholera relief clinics. Lots of preparations to make for the trip, so probably a good thing that my date to leave is January 7 to fly to Miami, and January 8 to fly with team members to Haiti.

Preparations so far:

Visit to family doctor to arrange vaccinations (wow, there are a lot....) and a personal medical kit for 'just in case". Did this yesterday, and will be picking up the vaccines today I think.

Have to start fairly soon with the anti-malarial meds and start to gather some personal effects I will need.

I spoke last night with my family and presented the full plan to them, and asked for input and if anyone really didn't want me to go. Everyone seems fine with it.

Had a long talk with the contact from Samaritans Purse this morning, and got a few more details. I will be working at a cholera relief camp hospital. They do run other medical facilities in Haiti, but this is what I will be doing. Shifts will be 12 hours long, 6 days on, one day off. Will be tough physically in the heat and humidity. Also, they are in their rainy season and the mosquitos are quite a problem. I will be searching out some high concentration DEET for this.....

SP will be sending me a package of information today by email, so will be able to start looking at the finer details.

So I am excited.... and just hoping like crazy that I will be equal to this challenge.