In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Difficult Things


Hi all,

Everyone who travels knows they will see things that are difficult, and different from how our own cultures sees or values things. Anyone who has travelled to less developed countries also expects to see challenging things.

And it really is a no-brainer that coming to work at a cholera clinic in Haiti would allow me the priviledge (and yes, the pain) of witnessing the heartbreak of people sick and neglected by the heath care systems which should serve them.

We had a patient tonight who came in with his mom, a 22 year old man, who, on first glance, looked like a young pregnant woman at full term. Very distended and heavy abdomen. Very thin. Pale. And he has cholera.

We started his fluid resuscitation and he remained listless and sick. The docs examined his belly. No one is sure yet what has caused the mass in his belly, and he may go on to another hospital to have it diagnosed and hopefully dealt with. First things first though, we will kick his cholera with God's help at Cite Soliel.

I cannot tell you his name, but when you pray for him (as I know you will), God will know who you mean. I will pray that they can diagnose and treat whatever it is causing the mass and the fluids there. But first that

The Haitian pastors were in with us when we started his line, and they prayed over us all while we did. A powerful moment, and all the more emotional when you look into the young man's eyes and see the lack of hope. The docs were putting their heads togerther to see what can be done after the cholera is gone. The mega frustrating thing is whatever is going on there would have been dealt with swiftly at home. This guy has lived with it for 7 years. :( and no solution in sight. So pray that a way will be found.

Michelle