In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Friday, January 14, 2011

The President Speaks

Hi all,

Working hard at Cite Soleil tonight. The partner I usually have has a day off(very rare here) and I am triage on my own. Pretty daunting. Don't like to do it by myself. The nurses in the ward are close, thank God, and come when things get funky. Just had a 9 month old boy come in, and the peds nurse did come start his IV, and while I was doing his vitals he just wasn't doing all that well. Very difficult to rouse suddenly, and scared the crap right out of me. Glad we have docs just a step away and the best peds nurse in the world (Heather) from Alberta. The little boy just really neaded his bolus of fluid and I could not get comfortable with how sick he was. He is pretty small for his age, and also has the tell-tale sign of malnourishment in that his hair has turned a rusty colour. Strangely though, cholera may be a bit of a blessing for him, as he is treated for that he will also be fed very well when he is able to eat again. His poor mom looked so worried she tried very hard to nurse him but he just couldn't do it.

It was my job to hold him securely while he got his IV and he was just looking up at us, mildly interested and trusting. Now he doesn't think too much of us, and cries when he sees us. But fluid is such a magic bullet. Amazing.

Last patient of this morning was a 10 year old girl. She was in visiting her mom in the woman's cholera ward and suddenly took ill with it herself. She cried when we started her IV too. :( but then I think she has forgiven me becuse while I watched her fluid going in I touched her hand and her fingers curled up in mine. Then I fluttered my fingers against hers and she did the same. Is the very same thing that Robin and I do - I reach back with one hand while I am driving and we do 'butterfly' fingers. It was the end of a long hot shift, and when I felt these little fingers fluttering in mine I almost lost it. Thought of Robin, and home, and yet at that very moment I know I was where I should be.

The Haitians inside the hospital site were all gathered around intently listening to the radio. Their President was speaking. Am not too clear on what was being said, but it seems the candidate with much popular support may be allowed in the next election??? At any rate, the people were not unhappy and the evening has been settled.

The trip home this morning was uneventful, and NO UN tanks. Bummer.

Didn't sleep worth beans today. So tired tonight. Missing home and my babies.

Michelle