In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Greetings from Haiti!! Arrived around 4 pm at the airport and an hour or so getting through customs and sorting out baggage - a very large aircraft full of so many aide workers - some running medical centres, building houses, working at orphanages. Truly, no matter who you are, or what skills you have, Haiti needs you. Humbling to see who is coming!! Were met by a bus from Samaritans Purse, made the half hour bus ride to the Global Outreach camp. Along the way we drove by miles of tent cities, with such overcrowding and size which defy belief. Lots of rubble of houses that once stood until the quake. Hundres of thousands living in tent slum cities. The worst of which, because of its proximity to Port Au Prince is the largest and most dangerous slum in the western hemisphere. I was staggered by the sheer scope and size of the problem here, one year after.

Traffic is crazy and appears to have few rules. As you come out into the more rural setting where the Global Outreach compound is (where we sleep) it looks like the people have carved out better places for themselves.

We arrived just a dark, and Helen, my guardian angel from Calgary showed me around. Got out of the A/C van and started to melt. Temp today 90 with about 90 percent humidity. Whew.

So remember MASH the tv series, this camp is very similar. Mess tent, womens and mens showers, and seperate dorms. I have a bottom bunk with my stuff above me on the top bunk.

Went to dinner in mess hall, hambergers and fries, and mango for dessert. Wasn't hungry at all.... To hot and sweaty.

Had a wee tour of compound. And went to medical orientation. And then found out I work tomorrow night in the Cite Soliel location. Nothing like just jumpin in....... Aye, well.

Hope you are all well. Baptism by fire tomorrow night. They say after the first 3 nights it gets better. :)

Well time to go to bed. Mosquito net in place and off I shall go.

Love you, and will keep you posted when I can. Photos hoefully soon.