In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Sunday, January 16, 2011

New folk!


Hi All,

Last night was a weird shift. Was slow, raining like you have never seen, and then sometime after midnight I started to feel unwell. I don't have cholera so do NOT fret about that. Don't forget I am surrounded by docs, nurses, and medics who all KNOW a thing or two about this stuff. Have a headache and a little nausea. The heat, humidity, and long shifts have caught up with me a little. Also have been battling homesickness.

When I think about you all I find myself very close to tears. The emotional impact of being here is huge, and it takes some energy to keep those things under control. I got teary when looking after the 22 year old man with the distended abdomen, went and washed my hands, and started to lose it. Thought here's this young man, who has been afflicted by this grossly distended belly which no one can/will deal with since he was 15. That's 7 years....and now he has cholera. I felt anger, at a system that will not help, and a government which seems not to care about the common folk. Tears of anger, sadness, and frustration welled up in me for him, for them all. I do not blame the Haitian people *at all* for showing their anger at their situation.

I keep meaning to tell you a little about my family here, which I have been calling my team. There are 3 docs, all from England, and nurses from the states, Canada, and Ireland. Lots of Canadians! OH Canada!!! Oh, O, O Canada! (Watch O Canada rap video from youtube here lol). You come to know each other quite well and it really is a cohesive group. I do have a night off tonight, and while I am very glad of it because I need it, I will feel strange eating with my group and then watching them get into the vans to reenter the battle, without me.

New folk have just been delivered to the compound now, and they all look so calm. Hopefully I did as well, but I can well imagine just how they are feeling inside: excited, nervous, and wondering what is next. Crickey. Suddenly I am a veteran. How did that happen lol?!?

So I shall sign off for a bit and go make some friends. Now it will be me saying welcome, and thanks for coming. :)

Michelle

Ps: feeling some better. Have been in the staff tent, which has A/c and drinking lots of water. Even a bottle of coke, which is a treat. So will be ready to get back to Cite Soleil and my team tomorrow night.

Love you, and miss you tons.