In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On the Eve of the Anniversary


Still working in triage at the CTC (cholera treatment centre).

As we drive from the compound to the Cite Soleil site, we pass by one of the mass burial sites, about 1 km away. Some 200,000 are buried here, victims of the earthquake one year ago tomorrow. So when you go about your day tomorrow, be mindful that at 4:57 pm 12 Jan is a day that changed Haiti forever.

From our translators we have heard that there will be big memorial services tomorrow, and that many Haitians will fast. It will be a very emotional day for so many, and we are reminded to be even gentler with the folk tomorrow.

Part of the role here is the teaching of Haitian nurses in the skills they will need to continue the work for their people. It is very challenging, especially through interpreters, to do this. A really great ER doc (Nam) from the UK and I tonight have been helping them with iv starts. We will have success..... At some point.......
I hope.........

:)

Cite Soleil is marking a day of progress today though, one which I am happy to relate. Every day a 'census' number is taken in the morning to see how many patients are in our cholera centre. The census is down to 40 something this morning, and that is a good number. The evening has been quite busy, so not sure how the numbers will shake out in the morning. BUT, the trend is to fewer patients..... YAY!!!! So a big step has been taken to amalgamate the peds ward with the mens and ladies ones. So one whole section will be empty. Progress! Amen!!

Ahhh, and Noelle reminded me I did not say how the MRE was. WELL, it was ummmmmm, edible but... Ok, really the best thing I can say is that it was really fun to do (put together and watch it work) and I was no longer hungry when I had finished it. :)

So.... lol...... not yet a fan of MRE, but better than dropping my blood sugar and being mistaken for a cholera patient. Note to self: If I need an iv while I am here I shall start my own.....

Love ya!!
Michelle