In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A hard choice

Hi All,

During the orientation speech we got the first night, we were told not to give away food, drink, or anything else to anyone asking for it. Inside the treatment centre the care goes on, and the patients get what they need. When they start feeling better, their families bring in food for them. Quite different from our home systems that's for sure!! (Although.... you know..... The Haitian food being brought in by the families looks nicer than that served in the PG hospital!!!!!) Hehhe.

I was walking the backway into the triage tent (hahaha really is like MASH!) And was looking over the razor wire fence out to the rubble field. I saw a small boy, perhaps five years old, standing trying to get my attention. I asked my interpreter what he was trying to say, and found that he wanted to have an MRE (our meals-ready-to-eat packages). The interpreter told him to go, and I asked him why. He told me we may never give someone something unless we have enough for all. Handing one MRE meal over the fence to one small starving kid could start a food riot. His little voice pleaded and cried. And we sent him away and turned our backs. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life. One side of the fence we have medical care, love, food, and water. On the other side, diddily-squat. :(