In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Friday, January 14, 2011

Team Cite Soleil Night

Hi All,

I thought I would tell you what the daily schedule is like for us. You are scheduled and stay with your team for the most part, which is nice. You get to know your team members, and you do spend 24 hours a day with them.

So the shift itself is: After a 12 hour shift, leave the Cite Soleil Cholera Treatment Centre (CTC) sometime between 0600 and 0630 depending on arrival and hand off to day team. Travel back to compound is about 25 minutes depending on many factors - traffic, road conditions, amount of people/critters on the road. When we arrive back at base, the vehicles come into the compound after passing through 2 armed gates, and stop at the shower hut. The night before you would have left some clean shoes (ie: those which have not been to the cholera site) on shelves outside the shower. Upon arrival, we remove the shoes which we have worn to CTC and scrub them with bleach. Shoes then go back onto the rack to dry for evening. We then retrieve our shower bags (which were packed up before we left for shift) from just inside the door of the dorm. Everyone must shower and change all clothing before going anywhere else on the base. Then you can have breakfast and THEN go to bed. Crickey, makes me exhausted just thinking about it!!!! Most days I guess in bed by 830 and probably asleep by ohhhhh, 820. :)

I have been sleeping until around 2 pm and then waking. The heat and humidity is quite oppressive during the day and it is difficult to sleep. Something that surprises me is that I find I actually like the mosquito netting around the bed because while it doesn't obscure things, it does give you the illusion of a bit of space of your own. Quite something in a dorm with maybe 50 beds? (I will count them.....) Am finding the shared living enjoyable for the most part, and being part of a team just fantastic, but do miss privacy.

Another important part of the team at Cite Soleil Cholera Treatment Centre is the interpreters. These Haitian men and women are absolute gold.... it is quite a different thing to communicate to your patient through an interpreter. Taking a history and getting information is difficult enough, but doing it in a different language is a whole different deal!!

I have two faves: Jean Marie and Andy. Both men are so much fun, willing and very communicative. On Sunday night Andy, Lauren (medic, N. Carolina) and I had some time to sit and talk. He told us about the politics of Haiti, customs, and things of general interest. So enjoyable!

Last night Jean Marie translated a written protocol, a flow chart you could call it, for what takes place in Triage. Dr. Nam and I devised it, Jean Marie translated it into Creole, and I printed it out on cardboard. An English one, and a Creole one. Supposed to keep us all on the same page. Or that is the intent anyway ha ha ha.

Well 0420. Pretty tired. Really can't wait to be done today and am hoping for a better sleep today.

The weary medic,
Michelle