In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Monday, January 10, 2011

Hi All,

Travel in Haiti, at least for the medical personnel for Samaritans Purse, is limited to/to and from the airport when you arrive and depart, and transport back and forth from the compound where we live (Titanyen) to Cite Soliel cholera treatment centre. As I think I said, we travel in a convoy of 2 landrovers with motorcycle outriders. It is difficult to take pictures of the contryside and its people because the vehicles never stop on the road for anything. Drivers are trained for that. Feel a little important (lol) being so well protected. I think we have more security than our Prime Minister does :)

So I will try to capture some on the move pictures tonight. I will have to try for that because the sights of the contryside and city are really beyond description. Everywhere there are people, even at night, all along the highways, fires, dogs, goats, cattle, little kids, ladies with baskets on their heads, people foraging for wood, bananas, anything they can find. There are tent cities everywhere. All strung together, crowded, dusty, hot, and unruly. There are so many folk with no jobs (80%) unemployment, and many just hanging around with nothing to do but bake in the heat and......

The site around Cite Soliel is unbievable to see. As the sun began to rise this morning (I had only seen the site in the dark coming in) I was heartbroken to see the wasteland of rubble upon which it had been built. A huge field of nothing but ruined concrete buildings and rubble. Concrete dust is still a huge problem as well and very hard on peoples eyes.

The translators here are so much fun, and when there is time you can ask them about Haiti and they want to know about your home. We were talkig with translator Andy last night and he told us about Haiti customs, how they celebrate holidays, and how the day of the earthquake was for him.

Andy says that there will be a govt announcement probably around the 1 year anniversary that a third political candidate (the one that appears to be the people's popular choice) will be added to the other 2 names in a political run-off election. He is worried that if a third person is named, and it is not the name the people want, that there will be trouble. All this is speculation of course, but I can't help but hope that they will delay any political maneovering until after Jan 22!!!! Selfish, I know.

The people here deserve so much better than a government that really isn't interested in making things better. The Haitians are beautiful people, and have such good humour. They dance and laugh, and love to talk.

As for me, I am doing alright. Going in for first shift was terrifying. Took me a long time to settle down, but then I did. Glad that's in the bag. No assumptions for how other nights will go, but at least the first one is out of the way.

The cold showers are a bit of a shock here. After the initial blast knocking the breath of out you it becomes quite pleasant. Although it isn't my fave thing to do when you come home from night shift, though we do have to because it is part of the decontamination process.

Well, I better go to the mess hall and top up on water. I can't imagine how much fluid I sweat out in a day.....!!

Love ya all,
Michelle