In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First Anniversary


At 457 pm today the anniversary of Haiti's worst day will be marked.

I walked out from the IV tent this morning at 545 and watched the Haitian sunrise. This morning a beautiful show of colours over the city. Watching from inside the walled and barbwire enclosure I had the weirdest sensation of being held a prisoner. The sunset was still beautiful, but to banish the feeling I went back in the iv tent to make things ready for day shift.

Setting off for the compound today wqe drove by a UN tank squadron. Is nice that they are here, but seems surprising to me anyway to see them there in full combat wear. Waiting. Watching.

On the way home from Cite Soleil night shift, we asked our guards if they could drive us to the memorial site (we could see just off our highway) and at first he was very reluctant. He must radio our base at the compound when he leaves Cite Soleil - and we are timed to be sure nothing has happened. He must have gotten permission, and we turned in to the memorial site.

Covered with raw broken rock, the burial site for some unknown 200,000 people is an emotional and indescribable place. For the anniversary date, hundreds and hundreds of black crosses, big ones and small, have been planted into the raw site, row after row. Our guards allowed us out to walk the site as there were no other folk around yet (it was very early). All on our team stood and stared and all you could heard was the sniffs and clearing of throats. A completely overwhelming site for every person who will see it and remember. The rest of the trip home very quiet and somber. We all did our decontamination stuff quietly, ate, and went to bed.

Up now, and sitting in the open breezeway between the womens dorm and the mess hall. There is a covered area with open walls. Very nice. I have just enjoyed a large glass of mango juice on ice. I have to ask special for ice, but I do!! Such a treat!! Can smell dinner cooking, barbeque something. Suddenly I am hungry despite the brutal heat.

Just before we do eat tonite there is a special church service here and one of our Haitian pastors will give his testimony about the day of the earthquake. We will listen, eat, and then head of for shift 4.

As the night progresses I will answer some of the questions I have been asked. Thanks for your emails. It is a huge treat to hear from home, thanks!

Michelle