In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Monday, January 10, 2011

Hi All,
Currently more than halfway through my first nightshift at the Cholera Treatment Centre at Cite Soliel, Haiti. Today was extremely hot and humid, so the cooler night air very welcome relief. Didn't sleep much today. Found it difficult as there is much activity around the compound we stay at, and of course the heat.

Took a bit of time to walk around the compound a bit today. It is very secure. Has an odd feel to it, in that it is quite large but feels a bit hemmed in, the entire place surrounded by high fences and coiled razor wire. Lots of guards, and most are armed. There are two gates you have to pass through when travelling by vehicle that are fortified and manned by men with machine guns. (Really). When approaching the gates the men approach the vehicle very watchfully and check the driver before entry. It is very sobering. When driving into the hospital site tonite we had a motorcycle going on ahead to check the route before we passed. That isn't new apparently, but has been in place since the riots at the beginning of December.

The transit into Cite Soleil takes about 25 minutes and parts of the road are still broken quite badly. The. Is one UN check point on the way, which doesn't stop us. I am glad Samaritans Purse is so well regarded and recognized. And glad they are so careful with us.

The number of cholera cases being admitted in the last week or so has been decreasing, Thank God.

I had been told before I came that Haiti was in its wet season, which isn't right as that comes in March they say here. This is helping with the cholera numbers for certain, though it is said that 'they' expect it to be around for a couple years, though perhaps not at epidemic proportions.

Am working in the iv start part of the hospital with another medic, Lauren, and a Haitian nurse.

I was pretty nervous about doing the starts on this population. I still am. They are a bit challenging. :). For those out there who can relate, no 18 guages are even attempted. Most common is 20 guage and tonight's offering of patients (so far) have all been kids.

Well, 2 am and another 3.5 hours to go. Getting sleepy but enjoying the cooler night air. Am glad I have the first shift almost under my belt. Was very freaked out before I started. Worked myself right up. :)

Michelle