In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Halfway There....

Hi all,
Had a good sleep last night and feel halfway decent today. Am back on nights at Cite Soleil again and we have added some new members to our team. I have met up with a doc from France who came in yesterday and will go out with us tonight. Was happy to be able to show her some things about getting around here, and how things are at Cite. She is anxious, understandably so. Lol, been there, done that, and can really empathise.

It is really hot here today, the staffers who are here are even saying how hot it is. By the way, not saying that to rub it in, lol, really!!! But those who know me know that heat is not my fave thing for sure!! Am sorry to have heard the brutal forecasts at home. Am REALLY hoping Ben is keeping up with the snow clearing at home.......... Have been amusing the Haitians with our forecasts. They can't imagine snow, nor can they get their heads around -30. I did show them pics on my phone of snow, which they seemed to enjoy.

Good news on the cholera front, the numbers of new cases has slowed down significantly, which is a huge blessing. Combination of the dry weather and massive public education campaigns are helping. Everyone is pumped!

The only downside to this of course is for the Haitian staff being used in the centres (nurses, interpreters, porters, cleaning staff). In a country that has at least 80% unemployment, a job is a huge blessing. Cholera, the scourge that it is, has also been a blessing to some. To those with other underlying medical conditions which would not have gotten medical help at all, and to those employed to help fight it. Such a double edge sword for these folk. With the numbers going down, there have been staffing cuts which seems so hard. I totally feel for the staff :(

On the upside though, the skills of the Haitian staff are growing in leaps and bounds. They are much more confident. Some are even becoming proficient in starting IV's. (Some are still struggling.....). As it really is the most central skill required for cholera recovery, pray for those who are struggling to become proficient. (And pray extra hard for me to have patience, and even harder for me to grow my teaching skills...... yikes!!)

Well, 1:30 and super hot here. Should try to lay down for a bit to be ready for night.

Now halfway through my mission trip :)

Michelle