In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Night Two

There really is no way I could ever describe in words how it is to be here. Completely surreal at times. On the same time zone as Ontario and Miami, but.... so so different. We had a break in the action for an hour tonight, no new patients, and stood for a bit looking out over the razor wire wall at the outside. the night is really hazy tonight with so much dust in the air. There are fires - hard to make sense of them really, some for cooking and warmth in the tent cities, and others look like slash burning at home. Just by the compound one of the hillsides has what looks like a prescribed burn going on. Many trucks hauling loads and loads of rock, presumably to fix roads (somewhere). Not the ones we have been on I suspect though ha ha ha.

Maybe an indelicate subject (don't read this part if you are terribly sensitive) - but the cholera treatment centre has a distinct scent of its own. And not what you might expect...... The overwhelming scent you get is chlorox bleach. Good old chlorox is effective on the cholera bacterium. Thank God. Its cheap, plentiful, and easy to use. There is a generator that runs all night to supply power, and you do get used to the constant sound of that. So there is also the scent of diesel around from that as well.

Just walked down to the pediatric section of the centre. Lots of admissions today, some of which we did tonight. One little 9 year old girl with the most beautiful soulful eyes I have ever seen. After we started her IV she would not look at us at all :(

Did go have a peak at her just now and she looks a lot more perky than she did. Amazing what a couple litres of fluid will do. But, she still won't look at us.

Another little guy, who is supposed to be one, and looks like a 3 month old, had been in really rough shape yesterday. Tonight much better and although his cholera symptoms are improved, they are slowing up his discharge for a day or so to try and bulk up his nutrition. He has different aunts who come to be with him, not sure what has happened to his mama.

Because I have only, so far, been in the triage station, which is where all the IV's take place, and initial resuscitation fluids are given, I don't spend any time at all in the wards. I am ok with that. Not enough time to get attached.

is quiet at the moment, and can hear only the gen set running, few people moving about, and a cricket. The peds ward does seem also to have a number of resident crickets which sound wonderful to my winter Canadian ears.

Hope you are all well and know that I miss you.
Michelle xxx