In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Friday, January 21, 2011

Last Night in Cite....

Hi All,

Needless to say I write with ambivalent feelings. Very excited of course to start making my way to see you all, and enjoy home and hearth, not to mention a bath, and some silence..... (and a diet coke...hmmmm)

So many thoughts about being here. Have seen and experienced some many things! It has been running through my mind that what might work best for tonight is to just write the words, with no fluff, that fit.

Hope. Excitement. Fear. Anger. Wistfulness. Humor. Fun. Tense. Sleepy. Beauty. Wreckage. Rubble. Resurrection. Faith. Belief. Sadness. Reality. Stark. Lush. Heat. Humid. Patience. Wisdom. Enthusiasm. Angst. Frustration. Vigilant. Appreciation. Stretched. Willing. Useful. Glad (I didn't see a tarantula!!). Fatigue. Inventiveness. Satisfaction.

I am looking forward to many things at home, but they seem frivolous at the moment, but I know I will enjoy them all the same when I get there. Perhaps with even a greater appreciation than before. Part of the angst I am feeling in leaving Haiti is that for me, it has been an experience. Something to be lived for a short time, and remembered for a lifetime. Not a holiday, but a journey. For all who visit here, we are privileged to be let into the lives of those who are living and surviving here. Sharing their most difficult moments in sickness, their joys, and the intensity with which they laugh, cry, and sing. And then we go. It is an option for us. And the Haitians stay. They are for the moment, stuck with all the broken-ness that is their country. And yet just like us, they have talent, dreams, abilities, intelligence, and brilliance. If they can just be allowed any opportunity, and be encouraged to show it, Haiti will find a brighter path. So I will always pray for Haiti, and all her people, especially those whom I have come to know.

Thanks for allowing me to care. It has been a huge privilege. Merci beaucoup.

Ayite pap pere (written in Creole, 'Haiti will not perish')

Michelle