In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Smokin' Hot!

Hi All,

Whew... hot here today. Probably is a good thing that there is no thermometer or I would whine louder!! Very smoky as well, there are grass fires in the fields next to the compound that have been burning all day. At home this would be much cause for concern, but here, nah.... no one seems to worry about it. I sat for a while watching the flames at the edge of OUR field. Everyone just did there thing. Huh. Maybe the BC wildfires have made me paranoid lol. (Update: Samaritan's Purse staff were out with the water truck dousing our boundaries....thank you guys!)

I am feeling better, but not sounding great. Am quite determined to work tonight. Have sorted out how to be hydrated here.... Just drink every minute you are awake and it will be almost adequate.

When the cholera patients are past the acute phase of the sickness, and start to get up to use the toilet, they balance their IV bags on their heads while they walk and do what they need to get done. Maybe the caregivers should all do that, it would spare the trouble of toting around the water bottle, and be so much more efficient, ha ha ha!!!!

There was some gang activity outside the gates by triage at Cite Soleil again last night as someone (in a gang) had been shot during the day. Triage was moved further inside the complex as a result. Not sure yet if it has been moved back or not. I think, even if it has been, I will make an executive decision to move it closer to my colleagues. Makes sense - my triage partner is off tonite, and as there seems to be more activity lately it seems prudent. :)

So down to 3 shifts now, perhaps only 2 before starting home. I am hopeful that the violence and demonstrations (called Manifestations by the Haitians) will cool down.

As always, please remember all the teams in prayer for safety in our travels, and a general one for a more peaceful spirit to come upon the people as a whole here.

Hopefully, only 3 more sleeps!

Love you,

Michelle