In the words of Ewan MacGregor, "The Long Way Down"

I feel that this is where I belong, to be seeing what I am seeing, and meeting the people I am meeting. I feel I absolutely belong in this moment - it's where I should be. And luckily it's where I find myself. -Ewan MacGregor, The Long Way Down


****BE SURE TO CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" WHEN YOU REACH THE END OF THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE. THERE ARE +250 POSTS, AND ONLY A FEW ARE ON THIS FIRST PAGE****

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some thoughts

Hi all,

Has been a few days now since my return to home and still my thoughts are filled with Haiti, and the people I was privileged to meet, serve with, and assist. As I go about my everyday tasks at home my mind is still far away, and trying in its own way to parse the information. So many have asked me the simple question - how was your trip? What to say. Fantastic, profound, difficult, tiring, fulfilling. So many emotions.

Thank you to all who have asked me the question, and then been patient enough to listen to the answer. Pity the ones who have asked a simple, polite question to be answered by a blurt of more information than they ever wanted, lol. Sorry about that :) I am sure the intensity of my descriptions will probably decrease, as time goes by. Though inside I am as certain that my feelings for the people of Haiti and their struggle will never subside.

I am lucky to be giving an update to my church family this coming Sunday and have been trying to decide what to say. I think there are several themes central to this profound experience, and two of the strongest threads, for me anyway, are hope and community.

Some simple pleasures that I have enjoyed more than before the trip-
Diet coke!!

The quiet of night time here - no generators, fans, crowing of roosters (Haitian roosters start around 1 am and continue all night...!)

The simple joy of understanding all the conversations around you. I must work on my French before I go to Haiti again.....

Snow - ok, scratch that one, snow was fun for about half an hour upon my return!!

Baths - yup, not a shower person, and have had a ridiculous number of baths for no reason at all since I have been home, just because I can!!

Driving - on good roads (if the plows have been out) with rules I understand.

Google - sure did miss being able to look things up when required.

News - being disconnected from the news of the world was both a pleasure, and a little disconcerting while in Haiti. But at the same time watching it nightly I am finding may not add positively to my life. Interesting.